Augsburg's little secret

Posted by Brett Boese | 2:22 AM | , | 0 comments »


Augburg junior Jon Cassens burst onto the MIAC scene as a freshman, leading the Auggies in scoring, assists and steals. His numbers jumped even higher as a sophomore, but they didn't lead to success as a team. With this season's turnaround in full swing, he points to last season's heartbreaking loss to Bethel at the buzzer — a basket that knocked the Auggies from the postseason race on the final day — as motivation.

Cassens, who stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 165 pounds, was named captain prior to the 2008-09 season and has excelled in that leadership role — Augsburg is enjoying its best season under fourth-year coach Aaron Griess and in position to make the postseason tournament for the first time since 2000-01. Perhaps more impressive, Cassens and the Auggies got their revenge against Bethel in an 81-76 win in Arden Hills. The rematch takes place Feb. 14 in a game that could decide who earns a first-round bye in the MIAC tournament.

Brett Boese: Augsburg was picked to finish eighth in the conference by the MIAC coaches. It's currently tied for third and in solid position to earn a first-round bye in the postseason tournament. What have been the keys to success? Have the team goals changed at all?

Jon Cassens: Our keys to success have been our scoring balance, depth and defense focus. With four players averaging around double figures, that really helps us because defenses around the league can't key on one element of our offense. The depth has been probably the biggest change I have seen since coming in as a freshman. The talent level from the first team to second team is much better than my last couple of years. Also, this team has the best "team" defense we have had since I arrived on campus — and the youth of our team has helped because guys have really bought into the principles that the coaches have given us.

The goal of our team from the beginning of the season has been to make the playoffs, something that this program hasn't done for a very long time. As the season has progressed, our goal is to continue this success and get a bye and a home playoff game.

BB: Bethel's Tim Madson drilled a 3-pointer at the buzzer in the final game of the regular season last year to essentially knock you out of the playoffs. Augsburg missed the postseason by two games the year before. You're currently tied for third and in control of your own destiny. Can you talk about the learning process you and your teammates have gone through since you arriving on campus in 2006? How much motivation have you drawn from the Bethel loss?

JC: The loss at Bethel is one of the worst memories in my basketball career. Being so close to something that we worked so hard for and having our hopes dashed was a great motivation tool for me and fellow returners to finally taste the postseason.

The learning process that I have gone through since 2006 had to be quick because I was thrown into the fire since I stepped foot on campus — but I am glad that it was this way because it showed me what I had to do to get my body and mind ready for the rigors of the college season.

This year's team has also had to make a quick learning transition because of all the youth. I think that all of the guys have done a great job of working hard and speeding up the learning process.

BB: Your scoring is down more than three points from a year ago, while your assists numbers have also declined slightly. However, Augsburg is having its best season since coach Aaaron Griess took over in 2005. As the team's lone captain, how have you had to adjust your game this season? Did Griess, a former point guard himself, ask you to do anything differently or has it been a natural transition with the development of your posts, Nate Alm and Andy Grzesiak-Grimm?

JC: I don't think I have had to adjust my game at all. Coach has always told me to go play my game and do what I do. My scoring and shooting woes have been more of a mental battle for me. But I know that I am a scorer and I am putting in even more time to get through the current slump I have been in. But even though I may not be performing at my best, I will take wins and success over any individual accomplishments.

BB: You received Academic All-Conference honors last season. You still have a year left of classes, but what are your plans after graduating? What's been your favorite class so far? Why?

JC: As far as academics go, I plan on graduating with an Accounting and Finance major with a minor in MIS. After graduating, I believe most of my time and effort will be put into preparing and passing the CPA exam.

My favorite classes have been my accounting classes with a very good accounting professor, Professor Lafave. I try to take him for all of my major-based classes because I am the most comfortable with his teaching style and he makes every class interesting and fun.

BB: Go easy on my Gusties tonight. It's not like it's a big game or anything.

We'll try to take it easy on your Gusties, but I can't make any promises.

*Photo courtesy of Don Stoner, Augsburg College Sports Information

0 comments