Tommies reach Elite Eight, eye history

Posted by Brett Boese | 12:59 AM | | 0 comments »

Both Puget Sound and St. Thomas ran the table in their respective conferences, but only one emerged unscathed in Friday's Sweet 16 showdown. The Tommies shot 54 percent in their 86-69 victory. It's apparently the first road victory in St. Thomas history, a fact I find stunning.

The top-ranked Tommies advance to Saturday's game against No. 2 Washington University, the defending national champion.

I don't have any details since I was "stuck" doing my day job, but St. Thomas Vice President Doug Hennes went all newspaper guy on his recap. SID Gene McGivern was busy updating his blog and doing an in-game blog.

What's next? The Tommies are three wins from the greatest basketball season in MIAC history, and one of the most impressive seasons in the history of college basketball. If you believe the rankings, Saturday's game is the de-facto national championship game. Too bad the crowd will likely be small and quiet compared to what it deserves.

Naturally, I'll be working again and miss all the fireworks. Perhaps even worse, I'll be watching a stud headed to St. Thomas next year tear apart "my" team. The rich get richer, I guess.

0 comments